For many of us, digital technology is such an integral part of our lives today that we rarely think about it. Take a little time to consider your digital media use…
- How much time do you waste online?The average Australian spends 19.4 hours of leisure time online per week.
Of those hours, Australians spend…
9.3 hours on social networks
3.5 hours gaming
1.7 hours shopping
How does your digital technology use compare?
- Is social media taking over your life?Australians are using social media more and more. And many of us are using it in situations where perhaps we shouldn’t…
- Are you multi-tasking yourself to death?
Smartphones and computers encourage more multi-tasking. It may make you look and feel productive, but…
Multi-tasking can lead to stress, rage, and can actually slow down your brain.
• Workers at a computer on average get distracted once every 10.5 minutes and it takes them another 23 minutes to get back on task.
• 62 percent of the windows students open during class are unrelated to the class.
- Are you afraid of switching off?
Most of us have a deep Fear of Missing Out.
In responding to our survey, many people said they would feel isolated, disconnected from reality, uninformed, anxious and even suicidal if they took a break from digital technology for a week or a month.
But why? Perhaps as Professor Sherry Turkle suggests, “as technology becomes ever more pervasive, our relationship to it becomes more intimate, granting it the power to influence decisions, moods and emotions.”
How would you feel if you took a break from your devices?
- Could you be a digital addict?
Researchers in China have found that the brains of people who use the Internet excessively are similarly affected to those addicted to alcohol or cocaine. Excessive Internet use can negatively impact emotional processing, attention, decision making and cognitive control.
An estimated 5-10% of people using the Internet may have an addiction to it.
Do you wish you could use the Internet less?